23 July 2010

the sketchbook project

Last night I came across THE SKETCHBOOK PROJECT:

The Sketchbook Project: 2011

Feeling unusually uninhibited, I signed up then and there.  Perhaps it seemed like an easier way to tell a story than Nanowrimo.  Perhaps it appealed to my vanity, that I would produce a touring sketchbook for public consumption.  For the most part, I simply like Moleskin notebooks and the project seemed like fun.

From a generous list, I chose as my topic:  Lights in the Distance.  Why?  That is a good question as I may be regretting that choice already.  At the time, it seemed to be a fairly specific yet simultaneously vague theme, and a topic that would definitely be a challenge to sketch since distant lights require a good deal of darkness. 

All the cute brown wrapping paper covers were gone, so my notebook will be blue; but maybe I'll just cover that all up with rice paper watercolor collage or something else anyway.  I am looking forward to its arrival so that I may commence my imaginative theories about those distant lights and then (ulp!) try to draw them.

Once I get started, I will chronicle my Sketchbook Project here so I can share it with you.

No comments: