06 March 2011

workspace

Lately I've been wishing for a place in the house that I can retreat to. Somewhere to work, create, paint, daydream, or whatever...

My easel is in one room, my supplies in another, and when I want to do some art I often end up at the kitchen table. It's fine but it would be nice to have a space just for me. We don't have an extra room in the house, so I'm thinking of carving out my mini-studio in this little corner of the bedroom for now.

The potential corner awaits transformation.

Some of my art supplies are already in those large boxes on the shelves, my art books are there, and the printer is hooked up and ready. I'd put some stuff on the walls and get a cute rug, but what I really need is a desk, so I've been looking around... 

I don't think it's easy to work on these, but I love them so much! Impractical, perhaps, but one of my favorites ~ chul an kwak's tables that look as though they might run away.


At the other end of the spectrum, this desk is Utterly Utilitarian but useful on wheels ~ from CB2. I wouldn't mind easily rolling to face the window, the shelves, or go out in the open to work from any side.


There is an unused wooden table that we have tucked away right now, but I think it's a little large for the space. This is just a tiny corner and I don't want to overwhelm the bedroom with my art space. I also have a long, narrow table top that just needs legs. Maybe I can find some for it?

The search is on... and one of these days I'll have my own place for art. If anyone has some links to pics of their studio or an inspiring workplace, please let me know here or via twitter. I'd love to gather ideas about creative spaces to work in.

Thanks! xo

6 comments:

hippo said...

It takes time and energy to find the perfect piece of furniture, but isn't the search also fun? Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a great one :)

kimi said...

Hi Hippo-san! Yes, I'm having fun looking around and imagining different solutions. Thanks for the encouragement!

anika said...

hi kimi! right now i have two tables in my workspace. one has a glass top on some pedestal legs from ikea (i like the glass because i can use it as a light table too!), and the other is an old folding table that I use for my painting station (great because I don't mind if it gets messed up!). That little nook you have looks so cute. good luck finding the perfect table! :)

kimi said...

Hello Anika! Thanks for your comment ~ such a brilliant idea about the glass top doubling as a light table. Perhaps I'll look more in that direction! Wish I had the space for two tables like you, but meanwhile your glass idea has got me thinking. Thank you! :)

SaylorMade said...

That looks like the perfect nook for an art area. Having natural light makes such a difference. I think that is why I always worked in the kitchen during the day. The runaway tables are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

kimi said...

Hi Jeannine ~ Aren't they cute? So energetic for stationary objects. The big window is great for the light, on weekend afternoons at least... since during the week I often have to work late at night as it's my only free time. Will have to get a good lamp there, too, once I acquire the desk. :) I look forward to seeing how your studio develops!